Kavo Dental Handpieces – Basic Maintenance Guide
Kavo dental handpieces are among the most popular dental instruments, both in the United States and abroad. In order to ensure optimal operation and high efficiency, you should perform regular maintenance on all of your Kavo dental handpieces. In this guide, you will learn some basic maintenance steps that will help in the reprocessing of the air-driven dental handpieces, the electrical dental handpieces, the low-speed contra angles, and the SONICflex™ scalers that you likely commonly utilize within your practice. By taking the steps that you will be introduced to in this guide, you will find that your Kavo dental handpieces operate at maximum capacity for long periods of time and that you have to spend less time and money waiting on repairs.
When preparing to maintain your Kavo dental handpieces, there are a few steps that you must take to protect yourself and your dental instruments. These include:
- First, you should always ensure that your hands are covered with protective gloves. This will aid in minimizing the risk of developing an infection.
- Next, you should make certain that you remove the bur that is located within the chuck system of your Kavo dental handpieces.
- Once the bur is removed, you should then separate the handpiece from the motor and/or the coupler. Be certain to avoid twisting. Instead, simply pull it straight off.
- Now, take a brush with soft bristles and manually clean the outside regions of your Kavo dental handpieces. When done under running water, this will aid in removing debris from the unit.
You should never place your Kavo dental handpieces directly into any type of disinfectant solution or water. Additionally, these types of dental handpieces should never be placed in ultrasonic cleaning devices.
Manual Maintenance Using Kavo Dental Handpieces Spray
Ideally, you should engage in the act of reprocessing your Kavo dental handpieces after each use. Be certain to complete this task prior to the start of sterilizing your handpieces. Below, you will find the main steps that must be taken to clean and lubricate your dental handpieces. Prior to starting the process – as mentioned previously – you must remove the bur from each handpiece to be maintained. Once that is done, you may take the following steps:
- First, obtain a can of our recommended dental handpieces spray.
- Once you have your spray, you should then choose and place an appropriate type of nozzle on the can.
- Once the spray nozzle is in place, you may then place your dental handpieces on it.
- The heads of the Kavo dental handpieces that you elect to clean should always be wrapped in a soft cloth. This will aid in containing any excess lubricant fluid during the cleaning process.
- Once everything is in place, you may then spray the nozzle for about 2 to 3 seconds. Once you see lubricant coming from the head, you may stop spraying.
- Once the lubricant comes out of the head, you may then place the Kavo dental handpiece on a designated air source and purge the instrument for approximately half a minute or so.
- Once finished, wipe away excess oil. Your dental instrument may now be sterilized.
Maintaining Kavo dental handpieces is a relatively easy task; however, it may be a bit time consuming. If you would like assistance, simply contact us at Hughes Dental today by calling: