Essentially, there are two types of ball bearings used in dental handpieces. The first type is that which is composed of ceramic and includes steel rings. The second type is steel and includes steel rings. According to dental professionals, there are several advantages to using ceramic ball bearings in dental handpieces. The main benefit is that the dental instrument that contains these types of ball bearings runs much cooler; therefore, extending the overall life of the bearing. In this brief guide, you will learn more positive features of the ceramic ball bearings in dental handpieces.
Research has established that the ceramic-based ball is up to 60% lighter than the steel-based ball often used in dental instruments.
Not only does the lighter weight make it easier to hold and maneuver the dental handpiece, but, it generates significantly less centrifugal force when it is in full operation at high speeds. This, in turn, minimizes the overall wear on the outer ring.
The overall surface wear is actually reduced because of the lighter composition of the ceramic ball bearing. Due to the hard outer core of the ceramic ball bearings, it is not as likely that contaminants or debris will result in bearing failure.
Based on the research that has been conducted and the use of ceramic ball bearings in dental practices, the advantages of using these pieces are as follows:
- The lubricant that is placed on the ceramic ball bearings has a longer service life than the lubricant that is placed on the steel ball bearings.
- The temperatures during the operation of dental handpieces that have ceramic ball bearings are much cooler than those that have steel ball bearings.
- The speed rating of handpieces with ceramic balls is higher than those with steel balls.
- The lightweight ceramic ball bearings result in the reduced weight of the dental handpieces.
- The assembly process of the dental handpieces that utilize ceramic ball bearings is not detrimentally impacted.
- The noise level of dental handpieces that contain a ceramic ball bearing is much less than those that contain a steel bearing.
If you utilize dental handpieces, it is important that you consider replacing all of the steel ball bearings with ceramic ball bearings. Not only will you experience all of the benefits outlined in this brief guide, but, you will find that you are able to optimize the safety and comfort of your patients. At Hughes Dental, we have a variety of dental handpiece components available for purchase. Hughes uses only the highest-rated ABEC 9 ceramic bearings with no added surcharge over steel bearings. Additionally, we are qualified to replace all of your steel ball bearings with ceramic ball bearings. If you would like to learn more about what we do and how we can help you with your dental handpieces, simply click HERE.